One of the most talked-about ingredients in the health & nutrition industry over the last few months is Wellmune, and there’s good reason why.
Wellmune WGP is a natural yeast beta glucan that works to activate immune cells, promoting them to respond more effectively without overstimulating the immune system.
How Wellmune Works
When Wellmune is ingested, immune cells in the gastrointestinal tract take it up and transport to the immune organs throughout the body. While there, these immune cells – called macrophages – digest Wellmune into smaller fragments and slowly release them over a number of days.
As they are released, the fragments bind to specific receptors (CR3) on neutrophils, which are the most abundant immune cells in the body. The activated neutrophils and prime them for their normal activity in the body, including anti-microbial and promoting immune health. Wellmune also stimulates the activity of phagocytic cells, which engulf and destroy foreign bodies, thus promoting immune health.
The Research Behind Wellmune
Clinical studies have shown Wellmune’s benefits for immune health in the categories of upper respiratory health, cold and flu, allergies and compromised immune systems from exercise and stress. Wellmune has been part of nine human clinical trials, with the following results reported:
- The Marathon Study: Wellmune reduced Upper Respiratory Tract Infection (URTI) symptoms – including nasal congestion, runny nose, sore or scratchy throat, and coughing – by 40 percent in 182 runners.
- The Exercise Stress Study: Wellmune reduced Immune Suppression that is normally associated with strenuous exercise.
- The Medical Student Study: Wellmune reduced the duration of cold/flu symptoms in 100 med students during a 90-day study conducted during the peak of cold and flu season. In this study, there was a “significant reduction” (18 percent) in the total number of days of reported upper respiratory tract infections.
- The Lifestyle Stress Studies: During these studies, subjects taking Wellmune experienced a 58 percent reduction in respiratory tract infections, 9.5 percent increase in overall well-being and an 11 percent increase in vigor.
- The Allergy Study: Wellmune provided relief to ragweed allergy sufferers, with a 27 percent reduction in average allergy symptoms and a 52 percent reduction in the severity of symptoms.
- The Cold & Flu Study: Wellmune maintained physical health and reduced down time over a 90-day period. Subjects had fewer incidences of fever, took fewer sick days from work and/or school, and, in general, increased their general health and emotional well-being.
- The Firefighter Study: Specifically tested with firefighters, those in this study reported improved health with Wellmune, with a 23 percent reduction in respiratory infections.
- The California Marathoners Study: More than five dozen subjects were given Wellmune, and reported 67 percent fewer instances of respiratory tract infection symptoms, a 48 percent reduction in fatigue and 38 percent reduction in tension.
In May 2013, Wellmune was awarded “Outstanding Application in Health Management” during the NBT Awards event at Vitafoods Europe in Geneva. Wellmune truly is an amazing ingredient that has proven in numerous trials to help boost the immune system and provide relief.